With scrum software tester need to be more test analyst at the beginning to know about what products it is, the technology involved in it and what are main business component those going to delivered sprint by sprint. But on his aim of testing he needs to analyze what are possible test automation tools need to adapt & where he reports the issues, what are the possible test cases he can generate and how many of them can be automated for regressions test and when possibly he can start automation test.
Tester mission in scrum:
- Get involved from day one & listen: when product idea come on whiteboard and scrum master, product owner, designer, the developer ( architecture board ) discussing it.
- Always be a part of the planning meeting for the ongoing current sprint: Aim provides the estimation with test-related activities ( test case, understanding the acceptance test criteria/framework planned to use for test automation/acceptance test environment setup ).
- Be a part of a planning meeting for the next sprint: Tester needs to update any major improvement with test automation framework before starting the new sprint.
- Writing the acceptance criteria for each item for the next sprint. Tester uses the user stories and helping the product owner by suggesting QA about test standards, user experience, performance issue and setting up the base life for acceptance testing. Also, make aware to the development team if something they need to consider or need technical help for a tester.
- Upgrading accepting criteria and maintaining the test cases: Once the tester receives feedback from product owner he needs to upgrade the test cases.
- Automate the API testing for current sprint – If the application uses the API then code ideas is automate the API to cover the UI / Acceptance testing.
- Execute acceptance test in a manual way with current sprint – When the sprint is new there is nothing much to automate and later at some stage many things we not able automated, so do manual testing.
- Automate the smoke test ( UI / Regression ) with previous sprints – Constantly automate the old sprints to keep baseline.
- Exploratory testing – Keep breaking the system and try to find the undiscovered bugs.
- Be part of the retrospective meeting – You can review ongoing testing progress and covered area and major achievements done & drawbacks noticed.
In the scrum, tester becomes one of the close members of the Scrum team and help to achieve product owner goal using acceptance criteria.